Wednesday, June 8, 2011

As Promised: Brief, More Approachable Posts!

So this restaurant by our school, Fresh and Spicy, has phenomenal Pad See Ew (Sometimes Pad Siew) as validated by Mark, the British guy in our office who claims it's the best he'd had and he's lived here a few years now. I had it again for lunch today. Delicious!

I try to have lunch off campus at least once per week. As much as I love the "Staff Canteen" for its free, but also risky daily lunches, it's nice to have something once a week that was prepared fresh for you, individually. And Fresh and Spicy Pad Siew is only 50 baht which is pretty reasonable ($1.50 ish). They also give free water (a rarity here)and an appetizer snack. The first time I went it was pineapple jam filled crackers and this time it was a banana. I just ate my banana after my last class and it was fabulous! Love Fresh and Spicy!

Also, my 6th period class today, M6/5, was horribly behaved--well, some of them were just asleep. But apparently 6/5 is horrible everyday to every teacher, so much so that two thirds of the way through the class the director of the secondary school and two other male teachers showed up outside the classroom to watch and pulled some kids out of class to yell at them and to pinch their ears and take them off to get in trouble I guess. The kids were actually decently behaved during that segment of time.

But that didn't really put a damper on my day because I only have two periods on Wednesdays and also Miss Pat brought a big thing of pineapple jam cookies for our office! Delicious cookies trump ill behaved kids any day! I think they're for Wai Kru (or Wai Krou) tomorrow. I look forward to seeing and reporting on those festivities.

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Is it a cultural difference in the schooling that the children are so unruly?

    p.s. Thank you for letting me post anonymously! Love, Aunt K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I think it is. It's also just that it's a classroom full of 60 boys who are all together in the same room all day. The teachers float here. But I guess it's just a cultural difference. The teachers can smack the kids here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. for the record, kids got smacked in Catholic School in your Mother's day (mine too BTW). So glad all is great for you. Very cool!

    from Uncle David

    ReplyDelete