Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wai Kru

Yesterday was Wai Kru, or basically bow/pay respect to teachers day. It was really cool. Formwe students returned from university to bring flowers to their teachers as did current students. During the Wai Kru ceremony (there were in fact several ceremonies throughout the day for different grade levels), students presented rather ornate floral arrangements to their homeroom teachers and we, the foreign teachers, received the traditional Thai flower bracelet things. I wrote "received," but that doesn't begin to cover it. I was presented these flowers from a student on his knees. And when I say "on his knees," I don't mean he walked over, knelt down, and gave the flowers to me; I mean the students literally traveled the length of the stage on their knees, stopped in front of each teacher, if space allowed, bowed to the floor, if not lowered their head to the knees of the teacher, and presented them with the flowers. It was unreal and unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Family, I should like all of my food to be presented to me in this manner on subsequent birthdays that I celebrate in the US. Thanks.

Despite how great it was, I think I would trade one day of excessive respect for a year of the students simply being quiet and self-disciplined in class. I don't need kneeling and bowing if I can just get attentiveness and diligence.

My 8th period class didn't so much grasp the concept as many of them continued to stand on chairs and to punch one another and to read comic books and draw. I do however like to think they are in fact learning something.

Last night was also Dylan's birthday, so I bought him a "sausage pizza" (this is a packages snack item from 7-11), koala snacks, and I made him a card during a free period when I had nothing to do. We tossed a frisbee (I'm horrible) until it began to really rain. The rain felt great! It had been so hot and muggy up to that point that the storm was quite a relief. We later went out to dinner and a casual brew in Khao San which was an adventure because the rain was still coming down hard at the time.

Now, it's Friday and I have only two more classes to teach, but many hours yet to sit in the office. I'm looking forward to the weekend. I think the beach (potentially in the rain) will be involved.

Until the next, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment