Sunday, June 5, 2011

Waithing for Jew...

The title of this post is dedicated to the fabulous singer at the restaurant we went to Sunday night. She was actually a pretty decent singer. Her English pronunciation, however, was less than perfect, most notably in the line "waiting for you," and consequently her performance was rendered laughable. Her outfit was also fabulous, featuring the sort of animal paw shaped Crocs you find here and some absurd sunglasses.

Picking up with Saturday evening where I left off, we went that night to a club called Route 66 on RCA. It was on the expensive side for Thailand (it cost me $6 to get in), but it was rather swanky and I got to dance a lot, so it was a win. Getting back was a little difficult because it was rather far and cabs were reluctant to drive us when they could get many more closer fares instead. That was frustrating, especially because I was tired, but not so much that it ruined an otherwise fabulous night.

On Sunday, most people were incredibly hungover, so I, not, got up at 7 and cleaned my whole room, did laundry, skyped Dad, and had a generally productive day. In the evening we went to The Water Front for Amanda's Birthday which was quite nice with the breeze out on the porch and the aforementioned performer.

Monday, I went to school, but we had no classes because M 4, 5, and 6 were off signing up for or participating in or something their military training. The first half of the day I got all my grading and power point finished, but then after lunch (which by the way was a much improved canteen experience as compared to last Monday's disgusting scenario), I had nothing to do and literally doodled and watched "Rob and Big" on my ipod for the rest of the day. In the evening, Meg's friend Sage came to meet me. We walked to Khao San because she hadn't seen it, but had heard about it in her travels. After walking down Khao San and refusing many an invitation to see "Ping Pong Show," we stopped in somewhere to grab a beer and she told me all about her travels. She had some great stories and it was a good time. Then we walked back and got Falafel and snacks from 7-11. I was briefly locked out of school, but after 2 or 3 minutes of mild panic, the gate guard returned to his post from goodness knows where and let me back in.

Tuesday, I did some actual teaching of the students via the powerpoint I made of common mistakes in their first drafts of cover letters. One class was terrible and my coteacher spent 15 minutes yelling at them, but then left me alone with them, the period before lunch as well, so the last 5 to 10 minutes of class were chaos. The other class that I had to teach, teach went much better as the class is generally better behaved and my teacher didnt abandon me. 8th period yesterday was crazy. Evidently all of my 3rd graders got over their timidity and now they're all like standing on seats or jumping up and down or talking to their friends or reading comic books or drawing (or some combination of any number of those things). I do have 1 student who is the best and he sits quietly nearer the back and participates and seems to enjoy it. He is not the best at English of my class, but he's not the worst and he's actually trying to learn. So, Peem is my favorite. Among the others though some are actually paying half attention and participating in the lesson while running and jumping and talking to their friends.

Today is my easiest day, only two classes, and the first one went well. 6/4 is the best section in M 6. Even though we couldn't get a projector, I just wrote on the board and it worked out pretty well. Oh! Of interesting note, they have white boards here in the secondary rooms, but they still use chalk erasers. Anyway, whenever I wrote on the board I get blue marker dust all over me. The whole of both hands, usually at least one forearm, and not infrequently my clothes and face. It's a disaster. After every class I go to the bathroom and essentially bathe in the sink. It's absurd.

That's all for now. Sawasdee ka!

No comments:

Post a Comment